Fences are required by your township to enclose in-ground or above-ground pools and spas. Regulations regarding pool enclosures vary from township to township and are based on the nation-wide Building Officials and Code Administrators (BOCA) codes. Section 421.10.1 of the BOCA code stipulates that for fences surrounding a pool/spa:
- The fence must be at least 48” high.
- The minimum space between the lowermost top rail and the top most bottom rail must be at least 45”.
- Spacing between pickets must be less than 4”.
- Space between the bottom rail and the ground must be less than 4”.
- Gates must be self-closing/self-latching and the opening mechanism of the latch must be 54” above the ground.
- Gates must open out (away from the pool).
Many of our vendors carry BOCA approved fences in every style available. If you are fencing in a pool or spa, please let your estimator know, we have many options and styles to choose from.
Although AKA does not provide land surveying to find property lines, some local surveyors will be happy to assist you if this is a concern. For more information go online to the Pennsylvania Society of Land Surveyors.
For your convenience, we have listed many local boroughs and townships in Berks County that have website links regarding permit information for fence installation. Permit costs vary depending on the area. AKA recommends that each customer obtain their own permit, however for a small fee, AKA can obtain the permit needed for your project.